Sunday, January 25, 2009

Club Sponsors Hal Melia in The Producers

Dayton's own Hal Melia is playing one of the lead roles in "The Producers," the musical being put on this February by the Pasquerilla East Music Company. Our club is sponsoring Hal, so I asked him to tell us about his time at Notre Dame and about the show. Here is what he had to say:

My name is Hal Melia and I am a freshman at Notre Dame. When deciding on the college that I wanted to attend, Notre Dame seemed the obvious choice, though I was a little unsure if I would be able to express my love of the arts as a domer. This uncertainty was wiped away almost immediately after I arrived on campus, though, and I began to see that no matter where a person’s interests lie there truly is a place for everyone under the Dome.

I started college as a marching band auditionee, and after a grueling band camp was pleased to find out that I made it on to the Notre Dame Drumline. Another audition and two interviews later and I had a spot in the glee club and a job.

Things only got better when I found yet another activity with which to occupy my time – a musical group called PEMCo (the Pasquerilla East Musical Company). I saw that they were sponsoring a musical, “The Producers,” which was to be performed in February, and I decided to audition. After all was said and done, I ended up getting one of the lead roles in the play, that of the director, Roger DeBris. “The Producers” is a tale of two broadway producers who go through the process of putting on a show, from finding a script and director to casting the parts and setting the scenes. The catch is that they want to produce a flop rather than a hit, and they hope to do so with a hilarious interpretation of World War II. This is a fairly new production, and PEMCo is proud to be one of the first college groups to present it. In our own unique interpretation, we have taken a more minimalist point of view, letting the scenes and characters speak for themselves rather than relying on complex sets to give the show excitement. However, no expense has been spared on choreography, musicians, and costumes, and the all-student cast, crew, and directors truly put on a magnificent performance.

As we have put the show together, it has been wonderful to interact with many of Notre Dame’s most talented actors. This experience, along with every activity that I have been fortunate to participate in this fall, has made me realize how lucky I am to be a Domer. I thank the Notre Dame Club of Dayton for their support, both of this show and of my college education as a whole. Each and every one of you have played a powerful role in my education, and I thank you for supporting me as I play my first stage role as a Domer. My performance will take place on February 12-14 at Washington Hall on the campus of Notre Dame. I know that Our Lady’s university will continue to be in your prayers, and please know that you will be in mine. I wish each and every one of you a happy and blessed 2009. Go Irish!

No comments: