Friday, February 19, 2010

Meet Wes Anderson

Wes Anderson is a Senior Case Manager at the DePaul Center in downtown Dayton.  In other words, he is one of those people who carries out the work that your donations support.  Let's meet him and learn about the great and extremely important work that he does on our behalf.


What is the DePaul Center?

The DePaul Center is a part of the work of the St. Vincent de Paul Society of Dayton. The Community Food Pantry distributes food to the poor, the St. Vincent Hotel Gateway Shelter provides temporary housing for the homeless, the St. Vincent de Paul Transitional Housing facility provides transitional housing for women and families, and the St. Vincent de Paul Kettering Commons provides permanent supportive housing to special needs families. In contrast to all of these, the DePaul Center is a transitional housing facility and a comprehensive case management program that helps men reach their goal of permanent housing.

Where is the DePaul Center located?

Right across the street from the home of ND Club President, Marty Foos, at 15 South St. Clair Street in Downtown Dayton.

How many men do you serve?

Right now, we are at full occupancy with thirty-nine men living in our building. We have a long waiting list.

How long have you been the senior case manager?

Just a few months, but I have worked at the DePaul Center for seven years.

How do you help the men who are at the DePaul Center?

We provide them with a residence, develop a case management plan for them and provide life skills training. Each of the men has a private furnished room on a floor with shared bath and kitchen facilities. They work with a case manager on developing a plan to address the core issues that have impeded their success in the past. Case plans include educational training to improve their job skills by pursuing either a certificate or degree program at Sinclair, Wright State, or UD.  Life skills include everything from housekeeping to conflict resolution. We help them find part-time jobs and they pay 30% of their income in rent and utilities as a way for them to feel ownership in their shared home. The continual focus is on their path towards self-sustainability and good citizenship.

What about your background makes you a role model for the men at the DePaul Center?

I was born and raised in Toronto, Ohio, which is close to the West Virginia border, near Wheeling. My family still lives there. I moved to the Dayton area in the 1970s. I got into trouble with the law – nothing violent or damaging to property – but I was wrong. At that point, I woke up and started doing right. I was given a chance to participate in a prison Boot Camp, so I did and left prison in less than a year. I went to a halfway house and was doing so well I was able to leave after one month instead of the 90 days I thought I would be there. I began going to school at Sinclair and started working at the NOVA House as part of an internship. I learned about an opening on the DePaul Center staff from a friend I met at Sinclair, Louis McCarter. I’ve been at DePaul ever since. By the way, I just completed all of the credits that I needed for my Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice with a minor in Studies in Addiction from the University of Cincinnati. I’ll be receiving my degree as soon as I sign up for graduation.

I tell the guys my story because I want to empower them to improve their lives. We don’t want to take credit for all of the success we’ve experienced around here. It’s not us, it’s the guys who make the changes in their own lives. We just provide the opportunity and the tools for guys to make their own changes.

How do men come to the DePaul Center?

We have a thorough interview screening process. We won’t accept just anyone. Many people want the opportunity that we offer, but maybe they aren’t ready yet to make the commitment necessary. They must be clean and sober and ready to take the next step. When they prove that, then we’ll try to find a place for them here. We receive referrals from the Gettysburg Gateway for Men, the Salvation Army’s Booth House, the Veteran’s Administration, the court systems (both state and federal), and other places.

What motivates you in your work?

For me, it’s the guys – just to hear their stories and to see their progress over the years. It’s both humbling and gratifying. I look at it as a way to give back after living through my own experience. My mother always taught me to remember where I came from. Well, in many ways, I came from where they are now. It keeps me to be humble and helps me to be less self-centered with worrying about my own problems. My problems are not that bad when compared to the guys I am serving.

What are the challenges facing the DePaul Center?

We are dealing with a tough economy, just like everyone else. We depend a lot on donations.

How can we help?

Right now, our greatest need is funding. The federal government supplies some of our funding, but we rely on additional financial support from companies and individuals. Another way to help is by donating to our Vehicle Donation Program. We also appreciate donations of food, clothing, and cleaning and hygiene products.

Another way supporters can help is by volunteering, especially those who have professionals skills to offer. For example, we have two volunteers that work one-on-one with our residents on their personal finances. They help them develop plans for clearing up outstanding debts and to create a personal budget and finance plan.

No comments: